Yankees make second set of spring cuts
Like pitchers Jose Ramirez and Francisco Rondon, who were the first two players cut last Sunday, Turley and Heathcott were optioned without having played in a Grapefruit League game. Heathcott, who spent 2013 at Double-A Trenton, was brought along slowly after offseason knee surgery - and, in fact, he said Wednesday he didn't think he would be active when the regular season starts, but "doesn't expect to be far behind" - and was expected to progress to Triple-A this season anyway.
Turley, meanwhile, has been inactive most of the spring after feeling tightness in his left arm early on. He told Chad Jennings of the Journal News on Sunday that he was frustrated, as tests have shown no structural damage, but that he expected to be down until the last week of camp, if not later.
As for Sanchez, the fifth catcher on the 40-man roster played five games for the Yankees this spring, going 3-for-9 with a home run and three strikeouts. He split 2013 between Class-A Advanced Tampa and Trenton, and was long expected to begin 2014 with the Thunder.
The moves leave the Yankees with 62 players in camp, a total that includes rehabbing pitcher Andrew Bailey.