Damon Runyon 5K at Yankee Stadium on August 18Leader of the Bleacher Creatures "Bald Vinny" Milano to serve as starter
WHAT: For the fifth consecutive year, thousands of cancer survivors, family members and supporters will have the unique experience of running a 5K insideYankee Stadium while raising more than $650,000 for the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation. For those who have battled cancer themselves, those who run in memory of fathers, mothers and children, and even those who are passionate Yankees fans, it's a very powerful and exciting experience. The event has raised more than $2.5 million since 2009. For more info visit www.runyon5k.org.
WHO: As many as 4,000 participants with inspiring stories, including baseball fans, cancer patients and survivors, family, friends, and supporters plus:
- Ron Blomberg - former Yankees star and baseball's first designated hitter
- "Bald Vinny" Milano - leader of the Yankees Bleacher Creatures
- Lorraine Egan - President & CEO of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
- MetLife Blimp "Snoopy I" - The famous airship will fly over the Stadium during the event, weather permitting
WHEN: Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.
- Press Gate opens at 8:30 a.m.
- Pre-Race interview opportunities from 8:45-9:20 a.m.
- Welcome speeches at 9:25 a.m.
- Run/walk begins at 9:30 a.m. Groups of 200 participants start every 10 minutes.
- Last group of walkers is expected to finish by 2:00 p.m.
WHERE: Yankee Stadium, One East 161st Street, Bronx, NY
Media admission will be at the Press Gate, adjacent to Gate 4 at the corner of 161st Street and Jerome Avenue. Parking will be available in Lot 3, the entrance to which is located on River Avenue between 162nd and 164th Street.