YES Network.com

Red Sox owner John Henry addresses sale rumors

03/25/2013 4:05 PM ET
By Matt Hughes

John Henry (right) chats with Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington.(AP)

The Boston Red Sox are not for sale, says team owner John Henry. 

In an email Q&A with the Boston Herald, Henry reiterated that he has no interest in selling the team he acquired in 2002. Rumors have circulated in recent weeks that the Red Sox might be on the market. Henry says no chance.

"These rumors were baseless," said Henry. "I've not had one partner in 11 years suggest thinking about selling the Red Sox, even though they haven't received dividends. There's a great, abiding love among the partners for the Sox."

After a successful run early in Henry's ownership tenure, which included two World Series championships, the Red Sox have fallen hard in recent years. The 2011 team lost a nine-game lead in the Wild Card standings in the final weeks of the season. The historic collapse ultimately cost popular manager Terry Francona his job. Last year the Red Sox finished in last place in the American League East with a 69-93 record, and a full 26 games behind the rival New York Yankees. First year manager Bobby Valentine was also fired.

Henry expressed his frustration with last year's failure.

"The worst part obviously is losing," he said. "It was incredibly painful last year to watch the performance on the field. I feel personally responsible. Losing, with the size of the resources we have available from our fans, is just unacceptable."

Also discussed in the interview are the recent renovations at Fenway Park and Fenway Sports Management, the sports marketing firm that Henry's group founded in 2004. FSM manages global marketing and events for the likes of LeBron James, Liverpool FC and Boston College athletics.  

The Red Sox open the 2013 season in New York against the Yankees on April 1. 

Follow Matt Hughes on Twitter: @hughesmatt

YESNetwork.com comments