YES Network.com


Robinson Cano quiet on Yankees' offer

03/01/2013 10:42 AM ET
By Jon Lane

Robinson Cano is due to be a free agent after the 2013 season.(AP)
The word is out that the New York Yankees made "a significant offer" to Robinson Cano, due to become a free agent after the regular season. When approached by reporters in Tampa, Fla., on Friday for a reaction, Cano chose to defer to his agent, Scott Boras.

"I'm going to say the same thing that I said the other day, I'm just focused on playing baseball," said Cano, who declined comment on whether the offer was rejected. "I'm going to let Scott and the Yankees discuss that. I'm not an agent. I'm just going to focus on playing baseball."

Boras told CBS Sports on Thursday that discussions with the Yankees "shall remain confidential" and "will cease if they are a distraction to Robinson's performance and leadership of the 2013 Yankees."

"Like I said, I'm just going to focus on baseball and not let anything get in my head and distract not only me, but the team," Cano said. "I don't want to be a selfish guy. I just want to help the team win another championship and just prepare myself to help the team win another championship.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed the "significant offer" during an interview with Mike Francesa on Thursday. Last month, Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said the team was "willing to consider a significant long-term contract" to keep Cano in the Bronx. The Yankees picked up Cano's $15 million option in the winter after he batted .313 with 33 home runs and 94 RBIs.

"I don't want to talk about this," Cano said. "I hope after today, I don't want to be a distraction to the team. I just want to come here, enjoy the team and focus on playing baseball."

Follow Jon Lane on Twitter: @JonLaneNYC

YESNetwork.com comments


Yankees

More Headlines »