YES Network.com

Giancarlo Stanton hit in head by fastball

02/20/2013 3:19 PM ET
By Joe Auriemma

Giancarlo Stanton hit .290 with 36 home runs and 86 RBI in 123 games for the Marlins in 2012.(AP)
Miami Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton left Wednesday’s intra-squad game after being hit in the back of the helmet by a fastball delivered by the team's top pitching prospect, Jose Fernandez.

Stanton stayed on his feet in the box after getting hit, but later left after complaining of impaired vision.

''I wasn't dizzy,'' Stanton said. ''I saw a little grayness and fuzziness on the outside of my eyes, but it's subsiding now.''

Stanton later told the media that he doesn't expect to miss any playing time, but that further medical evaluation is planned.

Losing the 23-year-old slugger for any reason would be a huge blow to the Marlins, who shed a very large chunk of their payroll this off-season but have vowed to hold on to Stanton, who is young and has a very reasonable salary for the near future.

In 2012, Stanton hit .290 with 36 home runs and 86 RBI in 123 games, and the All-Star led all of Major League Baseball with a .608 slugging percentage.

Fernandez, who earlier this spring made headlines for not knowing of new Marlins manager Mike Redmond, was shaken up after the incident.

''Over 95 (miles per hour), I know it was. It's a scary moment,'' the right-hander said of the pitch. ''My hands were sweating a lot. It was just not a good pitch. I feel bad. It's not a good feeling, I promise you.''

Fernandez followed Stanton into the clubhouse to apologize, and he said the superstar was more than forgiving.

''When I asked him how he was doing, he laughed,'' Fernandez said. ''I told him I was sorry. He said, 'Bro, it's OK. It's baseball. It happens.'''

Beanings and misunderstandings aside, the Marlins are very high on the 20-year-old Fernandez, who was their first-round pick in 2011. Fernandez, who has been rated as baseball’s No. 5 prospect overall prospect by Baseball America, is 14-2 with a 2.02 ERA in 27 career Minor League starts and has struck out 165 while walking only 39. He is expected to start the season with Double-A Jacksonville, with a chance to possibly break into the Majors this summer.

Follow Joe Auriemma on Twitter: @JoeAuriemmaYES

YESNetwork.com comments


Yankees

More Headlines »